Burton Albion 1-2 Ipswich Town – Match Report by Jack Stout

Burton Albion’s run without a win continued, as Ipswich Town’s Bersant Celina broke the brewers’ hearts with a 90th minute, game winning free-kick.

Sean Scannell, John Brayford and Stephen Bywater all dropped out of the team. Scannell and Brayford were both struggling with hamstring injuries, meanwhile Bywater dropped out for personal reasons. Connor Ripley came in to replace Bywater in goal, and Matty Lund replaced John Brayford. Marvin Sordell started up front after a recent spell on the bench. The brewers returned to a 3-5-2, after an unsuccessful experiment with 3-4-3 at Nottingham Forest last week. Ipswich made just one changed from their derby day defeat against Norwich, as Freddie Sears replaced the injured Tom Adeyemi.

Burton began the game well, setting the pace for the visitors to keep up with. It wasn’t long until the first chance of the game was created. A Matty Lund free-kick found the head of Jake Buxton, but it was an easy save for Bialkowski in the Ipswich net. Burton kept their foot on the gas, and, after Sordell’s shot was deflected wide, Ben Turner got a shot away at the far post, but it was just wide. 20 minutes in, a Lucas Akins cross was cleared by Knudsen, onto Chambers, but Bialkowski claimed. It took Ipswich 31 minutes to finally break through a so far solid brewers back line, but McGoldrick’s low shot was easily saved by Ripley.

There would then be two quick chances in two minutes for Burton. A Sordell shot from range was spilt by the Ipswich keeper, but he got up just in time to save Lund’s follow up. Then, Sordell slipped a ball through to Dyer, but Bialkowski did well to save with his legs. Murphy then chipped the ball to Lund, who hit a sweet volley, but it was inches wide of the post. There were no chances in the one added minute, and the two teams somehow went in at half time goalless!

The second half was slower to get going, with half chances for both sides coming and going. 56 minutes in, Murphy curled an effort towards the top right corner, but it was tipped wide by Bialkowski. From the resulting corner, Ben Turner rose high from the edge of the six-yard box, headed over Bialkowski and into the same corner that Murphy had been hoping to hit just seconds earlier. The lead would last just eight minutes, as Ipswich heaved themselves back into contention. Waghorn fired home from the edge of the box, after the brewers failed to deal with a cross from the right. Ipswich continued to motor and by the 70th minute were on top. Waghorn shrugged off McFadzean, but Ripley was there to save. McGoldrick then cut inside and, unchallenged, fired goal wards but it was wide of Ripley’s post.

Grant Ward had room to cross, but nobody could connect and it trickled out for a throw-in. 88 minutes in, a short corner found its way to the edge of the box, where Warnock committed a foul, and handed Ipswich a free-kick. Celina stepped up and dipped it over the wall and into the bottom right corner, with the scrambling Ripley unable to keep it out. Ipswich were able to clear the long balls that the brewers fired up the pitch in hope of an equaliser, and walked away from the Pirelli with all three points. A result that undeniably left all the Burton fans bitterly disappointed, as the brewers continue their run without a win to six games.

Jack’s man of the match; Matty Lund

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *