Burton Albion 0 – 4 Wolverhampton Wanderers – Match Report by Jack Stout

Burton Albion suffered their second 4-0 defeat at the Pirelli stadium to the hands of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The brewers were forced to make changes following their 4-0 hammering against Aston Villa in midweek, after Ben Turner and John Brayford both went off with hamstring injuries. They were replaced by Tom Flanagan and Lloyd Dyer, whereas Hope Akpan also came into the team, to replace former Coventry striker Marvin Sordell. Despite having quite a poor game in midweek, Steven Bywater regained his place, with Connor Ripley joining Marvin Sordell, Luke Varney, Tom Naylor, Matty Lund, Matty Palmer and Shaun Barker on the bench.
Burton got the game underway, but were immediately on the back foot. Jake Buxton played Jota through, who made no mistake burying the ball into the bottom left corner just five minutes in. It would get worse just minutes later. Steven Bywater couldn’t hold a Neves free kick and Romain Saiss tapped home from around two yards out. Burton then woke up, but could produce little from their numerous corners. Twenty seven minutes in, John Ruddy made the best save of the game, tipping Jamie Allen’s shot from distance over the bar. Just two minutes later, another Allen corner found Buxton this time, his header cannoned off the bar, but the referee pulled the play back for a foul in the box.
Wolves then heaved themselves back into control. McFadzean had to get back well to block a Diogo Jota shot on the line. With five minutes of the first half remaining, Wolves grabbed another, as Vinagre twisted his way into the box and beat Bywater at his near post. Nothing was produced in the two added minutes, and the brewers went in to the break three goals behind. It was certainly a half to forget for Burton, and possibly their worst since entering the championship last season.
Tom Naylor came on for Flanagan at the break. It took Wolves ten minutes to kick into gear after the interval, and they almost got a fourth. Doherty beat Dyer down the left, but Jota could only head the resulting cross over. It wasn’t long until Wolves confirmed the victory. Steven Warnock gave the ball away, and a beautifully constructed counter attack was played across to Bonatini, who made no mistake. A Wolves corner was also almost converted by Saiss, but it was straight at Bywater, who saved it with his knee and it was cleared. Wolves were happy to pass it around the back for the rest of the match.
Nothing came of the three additional minutes, and the crowd of 5,080 were left bitterly disappointed as the brewers were hammered 4-0 by a Wolves side who were simply on fire. The international break gives Burton plenty of time to work on their mistakes made in their previous two matches. They face Bristol City at Ashton Gate next.
Jack’s man of the match: Jamie Allen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *